For 8 servings:
- 1 clove of garlic, halved
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pounds of russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of gruyère cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Rub garlic over inside of 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Crush the remaining garlic and spread it in dish.
- Arrange potato slices in one layer in dish. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle some grated gruyère. Repeat layering with remaining potatoes, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper and sprinkling with cheese.
- Mix cream, milk and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Add the mixture to the dish before adding the final layer of cheese.
- Bake until potatoes are tender and top is deep golden, about 1 hour 45 minutes.